I received my PhD in Computer Science from the University of Minnesota in June 2013. I was advised by Prof. David Hung Chang Du and Dr. Krishna Kant (NSF/George Mason University/Intel Research).
In my graduate life I worked in the Center for Research in Intelligent Storage (CRIS) at University of Minnesota. I currently work in the Advanced Development team in the HPE Storage Chief Technologist Office.
- PhD in CS   - University of Minnesota (Graduated - 2013)
- M.S. in CS  - University of Minnesota (Graduated - 2013)
- B.E. in ECE - College of Engineering Guindy, India (Graduated - 2008)
My Research interests broadly include :
- Energy and thermal adaptive computing and Data center power management
- Design and applications of solid state storage
- Performance and power management of large scale storage systems
- Cloud computing and Virtualization
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (Storage Division) (November 2015 - Present) : Expert Technologist in the Advanced Development team at the Storage Chief Technologist Office.
Hewlett Packard (Storage Division) (August 2013 - October 2015) : Member of the Advanced Development team at the Office of the Storage Chief Technologist.
NEC Laboratories America, Princeton (June 2012 - August 2012) : Research Intern in the Storage Systems Group.
Microsoft Research, Redmond (June 2011 - August 2011) : Research Intern in the eXtreme Computing Group (XCG) at MSR, Redmond.
Dell Compellent Technologies ( June 2010 - August 2010) : Summer Graduate Intern
- K. Kannan, S. Bhattacharya, R. Kumar, M. Murugan, and D. Voigt, "SEeSAW - Similarity Exploiting Storage for Accelerating Analytics Workflows", 8th USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Storage and File Systems, 2016, Denver, USA.
- M. Murugan, K. Kant, A. Raghavan and David H.C. Du, "Group based energy adaptation for storage systems", 9th International Workshop on Feedback Computing (USENIX Association), 2014, Philadelphia, USA.
- M. Murugan, K. Kant, A. Raghavan and David H.C. Du, "flexStore: A software defined, energy adaptive distributed storage framework",
IEEE 22nd International Symposium On Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Of Computer And Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2014), Paris, France.
- PhD Thesis, "Towards a Flexible and Energy Adaptive Datacenter Infrastructure " [PDF]
- M. Murugan, K. Kant and David H.C. Du, "Energy Adaptation for Multitiered Datacenter Applications",
Sustainable Intelligent Systems, Intel Technology Journal, Vol.16 Issue 3, 2012.
- M. Murugan, David H.C. Du and K. Kant, "On the Interconnect Energy Efficiency of High End Computing Systems",
Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems, Elsevier Press, 2012 .
- K. Kant, M. Murugan and David H.C. Du, "Enhancing Data Center Sustainability through Energy Adaptive Computing",
ACM Journal on Emerging Technologies, 2012.
- M.Murugan and David H.C. Du "Hybrot: Towards Improved Performance in Hybrid SLC-MLC Devices ", (Short Paper), IEEE 20th International Symposium On Modeling,
Analysis and Simulation Of Computer And Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS 2012), Washington D.C., USA.
- K. Kant, M. Murugan and David H.C. Du, "Willow: A Control System for Energy and Thermal Adaptive Computing", In
Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2011), Anchorage, Alaska, USA.
- M. Murugan and David H.C. Du, "Rejuvenator: A Static Wear Leveling Algorithm for NAND Flash Memory with
Minimized Overhead", In Proceedings of 27th IEEE Symposium on Massive Storage Systems and Technologies (MSST 2011),
Denver, Colarado, USA.