I am a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in the SPQR lab working with Prof. Kevin Fu.
I received my PhD from the University of Minnesota in August 2012. My thesis focused on improving security on the wireless medium. I looked at electromagnetic interference attacks on time-varying voltage sensors and vulnerabilities on wireless WAN protocols. I worked with Prof. Nick Hopper and Prof. Yongdae Kim(adviser).
I have been working in the following areas, slides and videos available upon request.
- Medical devices and systems
- Mobile devices and cellular networks
- Secure Industrial Wireless Sensor Network
- Large scale simulation of datagram based protocols
- Peng Wang, James Tyra, Eric Chan-Tin, Tyson Malchow, Denis Foo Kune, Nicholas Hopper, and Yongdae Kim. "Attacking the kad network - real world evaluation and high fidelity simulation using DVN" , Security and Communication Networks, 2010. [pdf]
- Leitherer, C, Schaerer, D, Goldader, J, Gonzalez-Delgado, R, Robert, C, Foo Kune, D, de Mello, D, Devost, D, Heckman, T. M, & Aloisi A. (1999). Starburst99: Synthetic properties of Starburst galaxies. Astrophysical Journal - Supplemental Series, Volume 123, 3-40. [ApJS]
Peer-reviewed conference and workshop papers
- Denis Foo Kune, John Backes, Shane Clark, Dan Kramer, Matthew Reynolds, Kevin Fu, Yongdae Kim, and Wenyuan Xu Ghost Talk: Mitigating EMI Signal Injection Attacks against Analog Sensors, In Proceedings of the 34th Annual IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy 2013. To Appear.
- Younghwan Go, Denis Foo Kune, KyoungSoo Park, and Yongdae Kim "Towards Accurate Accounting of Cellular Data for TCP Retransmission", ACM HotMobile 2013
- Denis Foo Kune, Eugene Vasserman, Krishna Venkatasubramanian, Yongdae Kim, Insup Lee. "Towards a safe Integrated Clinical Environment: A communication security perspective", ACM MedCOMM: Workshop on Medical Communication Systems 2012. [pdf]
- Zi Lin, Denis Foo Kune and Nicholas Hopper, "Efficient Private Proximity Testing with GSM Location Sketches", Financial Cryptography 2012 [pdf]
- Denis Foo Kune, John Koelndorfer, Nicholas Hopper and Yongdae Kim. "Location leaks on the GSM air interface", Network & Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS) 2012.[pdf],[slides], [BibTeX], media coverage: Ars Technica, Physorg, Slashdot, MSNBC, TG Daily, IEEE Internet Computing Magazine, Network World, e! Science News, Scientific Computing, gizmag, Crazy Engineers, PC Advisor, Mobile Magazine, The CyberJungle, Inquisitr, MPR, Fox Twin Cities
- Max Schuchard, Eugene Vasserman, Abdelaziz Mohaisen, Denis Foo Kune, Nicholas Hopper, and Yongdae Kim. "Losing Control of the Internet: Using the Data Plane to Attack the Control Plane,", Network & Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS) 2011. [pdf], media coverage: New Scientist , ZDNet, CBS News, Metro (UK) , The Register (UK)
- Peng Wang, James Tyra, Tyson Malchow, Yongdae Kim, Nicholas Hopper, Denis Foo Kune, and Eric Chan-Tin. "Attacking the Kad Network," SecureComm 2008. [pdf]
Peer-reviewed short papers and posters
- Denis Foo Kune, Yongdae Kim. "Timing attacks on PIN input devices", ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security 2010/Posters. [pdf], [poster]
- Abedelaziz Mohaisen, Eugene Vasserman, Max Schuchard, Denis Foo Kune, Yongdae Kim: "Secure encounter-based social networks: Requirements, challenges, and designs", ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security 2010/Posters. [pdf]
- Max Schuchard, Abdelaziz Mohaisen, Denis Foo Kune, Nicholas Hopper, Yongdae Kim, and Eugene Vasserman. "Losing Control of the Internet: Using the Data Plane to Attack the Control Plane", ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security 2010/Posters. [pdf]
Technical reports and others
- Denis Foo Kune, Tyson Malchow, James Tyra, Nicholas J. Hopper, Yongdae Kim, "The Distributed Virtual Network for High Fidelity, Large Scale Peer to Peer Network Simulation", University of Minnesota, Technical report, 2010. [UMN]
- Denis Foo Kune, Talk: "Security in the ISA100.11a standard for industrial wireless networks" , SCADA Security Scientific Symposium (S4), 2008
- Denis Foo Kune, Tom Phinney, Talk: "The Challenge of Securing Wireless Industrial Systems", ISA Expo 2004
(Email me if you are interested in the following papers)
- Abedelaziz Mohaisen, Denis Foo Kune, Eugeue Y. Vasserman, Myungsun Kim, Yongdae Kim"Secure Encounter-based Mobile Social Networks: Requirements, Designs, and Trade-offs", 2012